Anyer is one of those meats that are so out there and would be revolting to anybody that is unaccustomed to. Let us just call it game meat that comes in small sizes.
This game animal is hunted in the wide expanses of northern Uganda in the rainy season where men and boys follow the anyer’s foot prints on the wet ground and dig up the burrows in which the Anyer live. It is smoked for preservation and then carried home to be cooked into a sumptuous stew.
We have taken this meat a whole notch higher. With our increased consciousness to health, we have turned this once simple stewed meat into a world class salad that would hold its own on any fancy restaurant menu.
The Anyer is delicately filleted to reveal tender strips of meat that will provide a whole load of flavour the otherwise bland salad greens. Finished off with a tangerine vinaigrette, the Anyer salad is something to kickstart your meal like any other salad.
Here is the recipe:
- 200g game meat (cut to strips)
- 1 carrots (Finely grated)
- 1 onion (cut to strips)
- 2 tomato (1 sliced, 1 deseeded and cut to strips )
- 1 cucumber (Sliced)
- ½ green pepper (cut to strips )
- ½ yellow pepper (cut to strips)
- 2 tablespoon tangerine juice
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 clove garlic
- Salt and pepper
- Place the meat in a pan and add one cup of water, a pinch of salt, 1 clove of garlic and place over fire and allow to simmer uncovered for 20 minutes until most of the water has evaporated. Remove from the pan and allow to cool slightly
- Make your vinaigrette using the tangerine and olive oil. Add the salt and pepper for taste. In a large bowl, toss your vegetable strips and the meat. Add the vinaigrette and toss to coat all the vegetables
- Arrange the tomato and cucumber slices in rings, one on top of the other in the center of a clean wide white plate and place the salad on top of this.
Eat up before your neighbor comes knocking